Nikkei Inc. (“Nikkei”) will handle personal information in accordance with this policy.
2. Personal information we collect
Nikkei may collect the following personal information when you access our Mobile Apps:
- Usage of the Mobile Apps --- such as a history of pages viewed on the Mobile App
- Access environment --- such as IP address and the type of device you are using to access the Mobile Apps
- Engagement with advertisements --- such as advertisement viewing history
This information will be collected by using cookies mainly to improve the performance of the Service and to make advertising more relevant.
In detail, IT platform(s) may send data known as cookies to your device when you use our Mobile Apps Service. This data will be saved in the memory of your device. Cookies are used for purposes like monitoring the performance of our Mobile Apps.
We use the following third party cookie(s). See the links below for information on how the third party cookie(s) is/are used on our Mobile Apps.
Purpose: Traffic Analysis
Security and privacy in Universal
[Google Analytics for Firebase]
Purpose: Traffic Analysis
Privacy and Security in Firebase
Purpose: Ad Delivery
When you sign up for a subscription for the services of Nikkei Asia through our Mobile Apps, we will not collect any personal information. We will notify you beforehand if we collect any personal information unexplained herein.
3. How we use your personal information
Nikkei will use your personal information for the following purposes:
(1) To provide the Mobile Apps Service and personalize content available through the Service (“Content”) and to make Content relevant to you
(2) To improve, maintain and/or personalize the Service and other services of Nikkei Asia (“Ancillary Service”) and help us to develop new services and products
(3) To monitor compliance with our policies, terms, contracts and agreements, and to take appropriate action if they are breached
(4) To deliver information regarding renewal of periodical subscriptions and to communicate changes (in terms and conditions or Subscription types, etc.) and/or offers for Service and/or Ancillary Service
(5) For sales and marketing of Nikkei Asia
(6) For advertising, such as to:
- understand the effectiveness of the advertising which Nikkei serves to you and others, and to deliver relevant, personalized advertising (unless you opt out); and
- serve you with online advertisements that we believe are relevant to you and your interest (as described in clause 4, item 2, unless you opt out)
(7) For any other reasons required to provide the Service and/or Ancillary Service in relation with the above (1) - (6)
4. Who we provide your personal information to
(1) Nikkei will provide your personal information to a third party only when we have a lawful basis for doing so.
(2) Nikkei will provide personal information to some third parties to facilitate the running of our business or to provide specific services you have requested. Generally, Nikkei will provide personal information to:
- Service providers
Nikkei engages service providers who help to support its business and improve its products. These service providers include, for example, providers of online surveys etc. They can only use your personal information under Nikkei’s instruction.
- Advertising partners (for online advertisements)
Nikkei and its advertising partners serve you with online advertisements that we believe are relevant to you and your interests using cookies (and similar technologies).
- Organization where you work or study (for corporate subscriptions)
If you access our services through a corporate subscription of the organization where you work or study, Nikkei may provide your organization with your personal information.
- Social media platforms and other IT platforms
Personal information will be shared with social media platforms and other IT platforms where you use components of our Service provided by a social media platform or other IT platforms. Nikkei also shares your personal information with social media platforms and other IT platform partners for the following reasons:
- To prevent existing Users from being targeted with subscription offerings on social media platforms or other IT platforms
- To create lookalike audiences for the purposes of targeted advertising on social media platforms or other IT platforms
- To encourage Users to get the most out of their subscription
- Other users
The Service is publicly accessible, and anyone who accesses the Service will be able to see anything you post on the Service.
- Nikkei group
Nikkei will jointly use your personal information with Nikkei group companies as stipulated in clause 9.
(3) Nikkei may also provide your personal information to relevant third parties to:
- comply with applicable laws, court orders or other valid legal processes;
- protect and defend Nikkei's rights, assets and properties, including to protect against misuse or unauthorized use of the Services; and
- protect the safety, asset or property of you or the public.
5. Controlling your personal information
We have appropriate technical and administrative security measures in place to help ensure that your personal information is protected against unauthorized or accidental access, use, alteration or loss.
7. Transfer of personal information
As the internet is a global environment, collecting and processing personal information may involve international transmission of such information, including outside of Japan. Therefore, by communicating electronically with Nikkei, you acknowledge and agree to your personal information being processed in this way.
8. Children under 16
Nikkei does not intentionally collect any information on children under 16 years of age. Nikkei will undertake to delete any such information if notified by a parent or guardian.
9. Joint use by Nikkei group companies
Nikkei will jointly use your personal information with Nikkei group companies.
(1) The range of personal information that will be jointly used will be identical to the range stipulated in clause 2, "Personal information we collect."
(2) Nikkei group companies listed here will jointly use your personal information.
(3) The purpose of joint use will be the same as stipulated in clause 3, "How we use your personal information."
(4) Nikkei will be responsible for the management of joint use.
10. Point of contact for personal information/personal data enquiries
For inquiries about your personal information (or personal data) as specified by the Personal Information Protection Law in Japan or any other laws and regulations applicable, please contact us.
Head Office: 1-3-7 Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8066, Japan
(1) Nikkei may also handle your personal information in ways other than stated above when Nikkei, as a Japanese company, is required to comply with the Personal Information Protection Law in Japan or other laws and/or regulations where applicable.
12. Handling personal data of EEA and the U.K. residents
This clause applies only to the handling of personal data of users residing in the European Economic Area (EEA) and the United Kingdom (U.K.), in addition to clauses 1 through 11.
(1) Handling of personal data
We always process personal data on a lawful basis, such as:
- Your consent
This is when you have given us explicit permission to process your personal data for a given purpose.
- Legitimate business purposes
This is when we have a legitimate interest, as a business, to process personal data. For example, when we are aware of copyright infringements, it is in our legitimate interests as a business to identify those responsible. We take due care to balance our interests against your right to privacy.
- Contractual necessity
This is when we have to process personal data to meet our contractual obligations. For example, if you subscribe to the Print Edition, we would need to process your delivery address to fulfil your subscription.- Legal obligation
This is when we have to process personal data in order to comply with the law. For example, we process and retain customer invoice data to comply with financial regulations.
(2) Cross border transfers
Personal data may be transferred to countries or jurisdictions outside your residence area such as Japan and the U.S. Please note that such countries or jurisdictions may not have the same data protection laws as your residence area and would not afford many of the rights conferred upon you in your residence area. We will put in place reasonable safeguards to protect information that is transferred in this way.
(3) Your rights
You have the right to access your personal data, request to delete your personal data, request to limit and/or object to the processing of your personal data, and request data portability with regards to your personal data. When Nikkei receives a request based on the rights specified above, Nikkei shall respond to such requests without undue delay.
You also have the right to withdraw your consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before withdrawal of the consent.
You can lodge a complaint with your local data protection authority if you have a complaint regarding Nikkei’s processing of your personal data.
(4) Retention of personal data
13. Handling personal information of California residents
This clause applies only to the handling of personal information of users residing in California, in addition to clauses 1 through 11.
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may provide you with additional rights regarding the use of your personal information. These rights include:
- The right to access the personal information we process about you;
- The right to know what personal information is collected about you and if any information is sold or disclosed, and if so, to whom;
- The right to request the deletion of your personal information, if applicable;
- The right to opt-out from the sale of your personal information, if applicable; and
- The right to not be discriminated against for exercising any of the rights above.
You can contact us and exercise any applicable rights which cannot be exercised at Your Account as stipulated in clause 5 or by configuring cookie preferences. When you contact us and exercise such rights, you may be required to submit proof of your identity and/or address, if we are unable to confirm your identity or cannot verify that you are a California resident. When Nikkei receives a request based on the rights specified above, Nikkei shall respond to such requests without undue delay. You may also designate an authorized agent to make a request on your behalf, subject to proof of identity and authorization.
We do not sell your personal information.
Mobile Apps version: established on October 22, 2020
Revised on December 23, 2020